Katie Peterson | Staff Writer

Fort Leavenworth has many job opportunities for veterans, civilians, military spouses and teenagers. It is just a matter of knowing where to look.

Non-appropriated funds positions
A non-appropriated funds position is a federal job, but unlike federal Civil Service employment, salaries are self-generated and have their own revenue. For example, local NAF jobs include Family and Morale, Welfare and Recreation; Child and Youth Services; Army Community Service, the child care centers including Harrold Youth Center and the Child Development Center; and the Fort Leavenworth Commissary.

Current NAF job openings on Fort Leavenworth are listed at usajobs.gov.

Application requirements will depend on the job, said Natalie Winslow, Civilian Personnel Advisory Center NAF human resources specialist, as they range from entry level to higher positions requiring a certain amount of experience.

“Each job has all the requirements listed for each individual position,” Winslow said. “The (number of positions) fluctuates. Some jobs are open as a standing register, which means they are open for a longer period of time, at least 30 days. Then, we have announcements that are open for a week, and those are announced as management requires them to be filled.

“Therefore, we always suggest to visit USA Jobs frequently because if somebody is not checking on it at least weekly, they might miss out on the exact job that they were looking for,” she said.

As of Nov. 12, 17 Fort Leavenworth NAF positions were available on usajobs.gov. For more information, call CPAC at 684-2151.

Civil Service jobs
An appropriated funds position is a federal Civil Service job where salaries are paid via Congress. Such jobs include jobs at the prisons — the U.S. Disciplinary Barracks and the Joint Regional Correctional Facility — and the Combined Arms Center.

Additionally, appropriated funds jobs include preference options for veterans and military spouses, said Megan Swanstrom, CPAC Staff Classification branch chief, with the Department of Defense Priority Placement Program.

In April, the rules for military spouse preference changed.

“It used to be that when you registered in the PPP as a military spouse that you had to come to CPAC, and you had to bring in your documents and orders to register,” Swanstrom said. “Now, with the change, military spouses just have to, when applying, click that their eligibility is military spouse.”

To apply for appropriated funds positions, visit usajobs.gov.

For more information, call CPAC at 684-2151.

Post Exchange jobs
While jobs at the Post Exchange are considered NAF jobs, open positions are not found on the USA Jobs website.

For jobs at the Exchange, visit applymyexchange.com, and choose what kind of job opportunity to apply for — hourly, management, corporate, distribution or management trainee programs.

For more information, call (913) 651-7271.

USD 207 positions
Open positions for Unified School District 207 are listed at usd207.org under the “Careers/Employment” tab.

Currently there are 12 open positions — eight district-wide, one at MacArthur Elementary School, two at Patton Junior High School and one in maintenance and transportation.

Requirements are listed under each job.
For more information, call (913) 651-7373.

Get permission for on-post businesses

Katie Peterson | Staff Writer

Running a personal business has its perks, including more control over hours and being one’s own boss. Being a military spouse, it can also offer the benefit of continuing through each new assignment or duty station.

Whether an individual is looking to start a business while stationed at Fort Leavenworth or wants to continue his or her business upon arriving on Fort Leavenworth, he or she is required to apply for solicitation privileges on post.

He or she must also complete a records check, sign a cosmetic acknowledgement if the business sells skin care products or makeup, and fill out a Kansas tax information form.

To download all the necessary paperwork, visit https://leavenworth.armymwr.com/programs/fundraising-and-solicitation.

Once all paperwork is complete, it can be e-mailed to glenn.d.hewitt.naf@mail.mil, or mailed or dropped off to the Directorate of Family and Morale, Welfare and Recreation office at 600 Thomas Ave.

For more information, call 684-1669.

To receive the decision letter via e-mail, include an e-mail address at the bottom of the application. The decision process can take four to six weeks to complete.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

10 + 11 =