• File steps for claims on lost, damaged property

    • email print
  • Gary Hyder | Claims Attorney, Office of the Staff Judge Advocate
    In July 2017, the Army opened the Center for Personnel Claims Support at Fort Knox, Ky., to process claims for all soldiers and Department of the Army civilian employees in the continental U.S., Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico who have damages to or loss of their household goods during a government-sponsored permanent change-of-station move.
    Claims for other overseas moves will be handled by the Office of the Staff Judge Advocate’s Claims Office on the installation where the soldier or DA civilian employee is stationed.
    This article will focus on the process to take to file a claim for loss or damage and how to contact the Center for Personnel Claims Support for CONUS, Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico moves.
    “Personnel claims” are those for loss or damage to household goods during a PCS move or stored at government expense and for privately-owned vehicles damaged during a PCS shipment. As was the case before the CPCS was activated, all soldiers and DA civilians who have been moved at government expense must first file their personnel claims with the transportation service provider under the full-replacement value program.
    To file a claim, the soldier or civilian must first directly give the TSP a notice of loss or damage within 75 days of the delivery of his or her household goods to ensure they receive the FRV for the claim. This notice of loss or damage is not a claim. This notice should be given on the “pink form,” the DD Form 1840/1840R, “Joint Statement of Loss or Damage at Delivery/Notice of Loss and/or Damage.”
    The claim must be filed directly with the TSP within nine months from the date of delivery. Go to http//www.JAGCNET.army.mil/Pclaim to learn how to file the claim with the TSP. Claimants must give the TSP detailed information on the damaged or lost items, including the date of purchase and the original purchase price, repair estimates and replacement costs.
    Should the TSP fail to act on the claim within 60 days of it receiving a complete, substantiated claim, fail to complete payment within 30 days of receipt of notice from the claimant that the TSP’s offer for settlement is acceptable or it makes an offer which is not an acceptable, reasonable settlement, then the claim must be filed with the CPCS.
    Note: clicking the “Transfer to the MCO (military claims office)” button on Pclaims does not transfer the claim to an MCO or the CPCS. This simply gives notice to the TSP that the claim will now be pursued through the CPCS.
    The claims process can now be completed with the CPCS. To take this next step, claimants must contact the CPCS at usarmy.knox.hqda-otjag.mbx.cpcs@mail.mil or call (502) 626-3000.
    Page 2 of 2 - For more information regarding the claims process, contact the Fort Leavenworth Claims Office at (913) 684-5376.
  • Comment or view comments