• MacArthur lived on post as child, instructor

  • MacArthur was the only Army five-star general who did not graduate from CGSS at Fort Leavenworth.

    • email print
  • Quentin Schillare | Special to the Fort Leavenworth Lamp
    In the United States, military service runs in families. And there has been ample opportunity. In addition to peacetime service since the Army’s founding in June 1775, the Army recognizes almost 190 campaigns from the Revolution through recent conflicts in Southwest Asia. The generational connection of military service is apparent in the namesakes for the streets, buildings and other features on Fort Leavenworth. Some of the connections are familiar to us and some are more obscure.
    The lists are long. Some namesakes had sons who served as general officers. This group includes Creighton W. Abrams Jr. (who had three), Charles H. Barth (who had two), Dwight D. Eisenhower, U.S. Grant, George S. Patton Jr., Edwin V. Sumner, Karl Truesdell, Walton H. Walker and Melvin Zais.
    Some namesakes were themselves sons of general officers. John Sedgwick’s father was a general officer in the Revolution, and Dennis M. Michie’s father taught for a long time at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, N.Y.
    Not every son of a namesake with military service retired as a general officer. William F. Hoge’s son was a colonel, Percival G. Lowe’s son a lieutenant colonel, Hamilton A. Smith’s son an engineer sergeant in the American Expeditionary Forces in World War I, and Charles T. Boyd’s son and grandson graduated from West Point.
    Others had sons who followed in their footsteps but had their Army careers shortened by circumstances. Lesley J. McNair and Alexander M. Patch had sons killed in action in World War II.
    Ezra B. Fuller, longtime librarian (1906-1922) at the Command and General Staff School, had a son who was a major general and was for a time the CGSS commandant in 1941 before leaving for division command. The only siblings memorialized on Fort Leavenworth are the Custer brothers — Brevet Maj. Gen. George A. Custer and Brevet Lt. Col. Thomas W. Custer.
    Three namesakes had military connections through their fathers. Simon B. Buckner’s father graduated from West Point (1844), Jonathan M. Wainwright was also the son of a West Point graduate (1875), and Douglas MacArthur was the son of Arthur MacArthur Jr., a Civil War Medal of Honor recipient who retired as a major general.
    MacArthur was the only Army five-star general who did not graduate from CGSS at Fort Leavenworth. Although not a graduate of CGSS, MacArthur, who also received the Medal of Honor, was well connected to the post.
    MacArthur was born in 1880 and lived at Fort Leavenworth as a child, 1886-89, while his father was stationed at the post. He graduated first in his class at West Point in 1903. After service as an engineer in the Philippines, 1t Lt. MacArthur returned to Fort Leavenworth and commanded Company K, 3rd Engineers, was the battalion adjutant, and an engineer instructor at the Army Service Schools at Fort Leavenworth, 1908-1912.
    Page 2 of 2 - In addition to his assignment at Fort Leavenworth, his illustrious career included a tour as an instructor at the Mounted Service School at Fort Riley, Kan., service in Mexico, and distinguished service in both World Wars and Korea. When he retired from active duty after a disagreement with President Harry Truman in March 1951, he had served on active duty as a general officer for 35 years, longer than any American except Winfield Scott’s 46 years (1814-1861). General of the Army MacArthur is buried at the MacArthur Memorial, Norfolk, Va.
    Commensurate with a long and distinguished career, MacArthur is the namesake for several things on Fort Leavenworth: MacArthur Elementary School, the MacArthur Suite in Otis Hall, and the MacArthur Room in the Lewis and Clark Center. The MacArthur Room is an executive office for visiting VIPs off the main lobby of the Lewis and Clark Center. It and the nearby J. Franklin Bell Room are appointed with dark wood paneled walls, executive desks, high back leather chairs, appropriate artwork and cipher keypads to restrict entry.
    MacArthur Elementary is one of the three elementary schools operated by Unified School District 207. MacArthur attended the dedication ceremony of his original namesake school on post. On Aug. 13, 2013, ground was broken for a replacement for the 1950s-era school. Now complete, the new MacArthur Elementary sits on a hillside along the post’s western boundary and will officially open in August.
  • Comment or view comments